Phone: 0471-2803420, 2803421
Rev. Dr. John Baptist
CCBI Centre, PB No.8490, Hutchins Road 2nd Cross
Bangalore-560 084, Karnataka, India
Phone: +91-80-25498389; 09444223332
Phone: +91-866-2471355; 0866-2484647
Phone: +91-6782-262056; 06782-260077
2. Biblical Apostolate in India
CCBI Commission for Bible has been making all the efforts possible to promote Biblical Apostolate in India. It is creating a new awareness on the importance of Bible culture and Biblical Apostolate by giving new inspiration and impetus. It began to generate new enthusiasm and initiative by coordinating various isolated efforts and encourages people engaged in the Biblical Apostolate. It offers helps and services of various kinds.
However, this gained new emphasis and attention after the 12th General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops held from 5 to 26 October 2008 and the CCBI XXI Plenary Assembly from 12 to 18 February 2009 which dwelt on “the Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church”.
Above all, the Commission has focused on nationwide organization and coordination and set up of structures for Biblical Apostolate at National, Regional and Diocesan levels. It is a fact that quite a lot has been done in the field of Biblical Apostolate. At the same time there is a lot to be done in India, a land of saints and sages with a rich spiritual and cultural heritage of literature, beliefs and traditions.
CCBI Commission for Bible strives to create a Bible culture and promote a Biblical Apostolate by empowering the Laity, Clergy and Religious men and women with the word of God so that the Church in India is well formed to work for transformation of our nation, with the values of the Kingdom of God.
The Commission for Bible being motivated by its vision embarks on the mission of training and empowering the Laity, Clergy and Religious men and women for the Ministry of the word to help all the faithful to experience the transforming power of the word of God and become committed leaders, Spirit filled preachers and living witnesses to the Word to build up a vibrant Catholic community which will establish the reign of God in India.
(1). To create a Bible Culture and promote a Biblical Apostolate in the 130 dioceses of the thirteen regions in India;
(2) To strengthen and coordinate the activities of Regional and Diocesan Commissions through concerted effort;
(3) To create a genuine hunger and thirst for the word of God in the people and instil a desire to be authentic servants of God’s word;
(4) To create a devotion to the word of God among the faithful through Enthronement of the Bible in families and ceremonial presenting of the Bible to children and youth and a bridal gift of the Bible;
(5) To organize ongoing formation for priests to update themselves in the Sacred Scripture and on how to break the word of God in relation to the daily life of the people;
(6) To train up lay men and women as lectors, prayer leaders, animators of Bible study groups and Coordinators of Lectio Divina and form them as effective preachers of the word of God;
(7) To help lay faithful to become familiar with and interpret the written word of God according to Catholic tradition;
(8) To create a greater collaboration on all the levels of the Church’s life: Family, Parish, Deanery, Diocesan, Regional and National;
(9) To make the Bible available to all people at affordable price;
(10) To initiate activities like Bible Sundays, Bible Festivals, Bible Schools and so on;
(11) To utilize the mass media, E-media and IT in the service of the word.
6. Brief History of the CCBI Commission for Bible
The National Catechetical and Liturgical Centre was founded by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI) in 1967. Some years later the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI) established in Bangalore in April 1971 the National Biblical Centre (NBC) integrating it with the already existing National Catechetical and Liturgical Centre of India, in Bangalore. At the General Body Meeting of the CBCI held in Madras from 6 to 14 April 1972 the Bishops set up an Episcopal Commission for the Bible and continued to be part of it till 1987.
When the CCBI was formally constituted on April 22, 1988, it became the CCBI Commission for Bible.
1. Most Rev. Devadass Ambrose: 2003 – 2007
2. Most Rev. Gali Bali: 2008 -2015
3. Most Rev. Jebamalai Susaimanickam: 2015-2019
4. Most Rev. Antonysamy Peter Abir: 2019-
Former Executive Secretaries
1. Rev. Fr. John Peter: 2002- 2005
2. Rev. Fr. A. Arul Raj: 2005- 2007
3. Rev. Fr. Devassy Pudussery: 2008- 2009
4. Rev. Fr. Govindu Rayanna: 2009-2017
5. Rev. Fr. John Baptist: 2017-